March 24th, 2020

Corona virus update on visa holders

Visa holders in Australia
You must apply for a new visa before your current visa exp​ir​es. You may be​​​ eligible to be granted a bridging visa that will keep you lawful until a decision is made on your visa application. See what you need to do to stay longer.
No further stay condition (includes 8503, 8534 and 8535)

This means you can’t apply for most other visas until you leave Australia. If your visa has less than 2 months validity remaining you can request to waive this condition. We will advise you of the outcome of your request. If your request is approved, you can make a new visa application.​​
Condition 8558 (Non-resident cannot stay for more than 12 months in any 18 months period)

You will need to apply for a new visa Explore your visa options.

If your visa has expired, you need to apply for Bridging E visa (BVE) immediately in order to become lawful.

Complying with visa conditions

Can’t provide additional information due to office closure (Health or Police clearances, Biometrics, English Language Testing)
You will be given additional time to complete checks and provide requested information.
Can’t return to Australia before my visa expires and want to return

You will need to apply for a new visa once the travel restrictions are lifted.

Can’t complete Australian Study Requirement or periods of stay under the regional initiatives for Temporary graduate visa holders
We are looking at concessions on a case-by-case basis.
Processing visa applications

Some services relating to the visa application process​ may be impacted by COVID-19.

We are aware of issues for certain visa holders overseas accessing the VEVO system. If you can’t use VEVO to check your visa status and conditions, you can still access your visa grant letter and visa conditions online using your ImmiAccount.
Visa cancellation

We will notify you in writing if your visa has been cancelled in response to the temporary travel restrictions. This will include information on how to seek revocation of the visa cancellation

Education providers

Information about deferrals, extensions and what to tell students.

Students unable to return to Australia to continue their studies may need to have their study deferred. This will not affect their visa status.

See information relating to Confirmation of Enrolment arrangements

Where a student requires additional time to complete their studies (beyond their visa expiry) they will:

need to apply for a new student visa and
will require a new Confirmation of Enrolment.

Student visas can’t be extended. The student will need to apply for a new visa.

Studying online
We do not regulate mode of study requirements for international students.

Education providers should contact their regulatory agency for further advice.

For the exceptions as result of the travel restrictions, see the National Code requirements for affected tertiary students to undertake online study.

Bridging visa holders

If your Bridging visa expires and you are outside Australia, you will need to apply for another visa. Bridging visas cannot be granted if you are outside Australia.

Further Details here –